The Technical Specialist post is located in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania; and reports directly to the UNFPA Deputy Representative who provides overall strategic direction. S/He is the Technical Specialist for the Family Planning Programme; and will join a UNFPA team working in support of the Country Office Programme (2016/17 – 2020/21) in both Mainland Tanzania and Zanzibar. The Technical Specialist works in an integrated, coordinated, and rights-based manner which is fundamental to UNFPA’s overall strategy; with the aim to enhance the capacity of the Country Program to deliver results.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person's potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s new strategic plan (2018-2021), focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
The Technical Specialist provides strategic support and guidance as part of a broader team in advancing key UNFPA interventions encompassing Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights; Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment, including Ending Sexual and Gender-Based Violence; Population and Development; and Adolescent and Youth Empowerment both in the context of Mainland Tanzania and Zanzibar with Humanitarian interventions spanning all areas. All of which is under the umbrella and guidance of UNFPA’s Tanzania Country Programme (2016-2021); and the United Nations Development Assistance Plan II (2016-2021).
The role of the Technical Specialist is intended to:
- Promote a comprehensive life-cycle approach to Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights, including Family Planning;
- Support the Government of the United Republic of Tanzania to achieve policy commitments and domestic financing for long-term sustainability in support of a Comprehensive Family Planning agenda and a conducive policy environment for Family Planning program delivery;
- Influence and coordinate with other partners, including UN Agencies; Development Partners; Civil Society Organizations and other Partners, including the Private Sector to maximize collective results and impact of effective Family Planning coverage and broader Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights;
- Drive institutional and governance reforms in the country to ensure progress on Family Planning is supported comprehensively;
- Provide close, on the ground, follow-up and analysis of Implementing Partners’ effectiveness and impact;
- Build on the national commitments made at the Family Planning 2020 Summit at country level and influence national planning and policy making.