Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identify, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
The EAYIP Field Technical Officer (FTO) will be under the supervision of the EAYIP Cluster Coordinator. S/he will be responsible for technical guidance to Community Facilitators (CFs) and Youth SHGs on matters of group formation and management using HPI’s Values Based Holistic Community Development (VBHCD) approach, gender, Heifers 12 Cornerstones, Project Self-Review and Planning (PSRP). Working under the cluster coordinator, s/he will provide support towards strengthening all the technical and social capital development (SCD) aspects to youth SHGs within the hubs.
FTO is responsible to implement all project activities provisioned in project periodic implementation plans. He/she is also responsible to ensure quality of work and maximum participation of youth in the project activities.
Essential Character Traits:
Confident, Positive attitude, Flexible, Values-Oriented, Enthusiastic, Passionate about community Empowerment especially youth.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DEILVERABLES
Program Effectiveness (60%).
- Lead the CFs to develop practical action plans to increase income, production and productivity within Iringa cluster through various value chains including but not limited to poultry, horticulture, staple crops, animal health and husbandry, feed/nutrition etc.
- Work with cluster coordinator to identify and link young farmers ajira to the markets
- With the guidance from the cluster coordinator, work to implement gender and youth activities to promote production and productivity within the Cluster
- Work with the Cluster coordinator to set and strengthen the SCD structures including the Hub, CFs, CEs, PMCs, PCC and MTs and CAVES
- Supervise and monitor the project activities performed by CFs, CEs, CAVEs and youth in SHGs
- Work with the CFs, CAVEs, CEs to facilitate youth in SHGs within the hub to access the revolving Loan Fund
- Support CFs to Organize and manage Youth Self Help group and capacity building activities at beneficiary’s level, around VBHCD e.g. Cornerstones, SHG Management, Gender and Justice, Kitchen Garden, etc.;
- Facilitate the groups to carry out PSRPs
- Facilitate the CFS and MTS original groups for adequate capacity buildings of POG groups;
- Facilitate linkage between groups and hubs to access agribusiness related services and ensure increased production including value addition.
- Youth and SHGs facilitated to establish individual and group projects along the chains for existing hubs and new youth hubs.
- Facilitate linkages of youth SHG members of the hub to bring products at the hub for marketing.
- Coordinate and support the recruitment and capacity building to hub, CFs, CEs and CAVES. PMCs, PCCs and MTs around VBHCD model.
- Youth accessing RLF and utilizing them for agribusiness related value chains
- Groups are vibrant with self-directed and carrying out regular PSRP, forming EPOGs.
- Groups are linked to the hub to access services to improve and increase production.
Management and Compliance 20%
- Preparation of weekly, monthly, quarterly, semi-annual and annual reports and ensure strong database on social capital development aspects is maintained.
- Work with MLE Officer to develop and execute and monitor actions plans to support cluster/country office value chains databases at youth farmer business associations.
- Ensure compliance with contractual obligations and procedures of donors
- Carry out field monitoring of activities regularly for better implementation of project activities,
- Ensure the project has met the compliance mentioned in the related policies, guidelines and letter of project agreement.
- Organize and participate in monthly cluster meetings, review the progress and assist to manage issues arising during the implementation
- Provide technical support, coaching, guidance to youth officers and CFs
- Supervise, monitor and evaluate the work of CFs
- Document project highlights, best practices, case studies, success stories and lessons learned during the implementation of project
- Coordinate activities related to different types of community fund management like government, revolving funds etc.
- Submit timely reports to cluster /country office as required
- Ensure periodic project reviews are conducted with learnings documented and shared.
- Ensure timely maintenance and updating of the database, trackers and intake surveys for the youth.
- Staff meetings and periodic reviews are conducted to ensure successfully project implementation.
- Strategies of managing revolving fund are followed
- Best practices, success stories and lessons learnt are well documented and shared.
- Provide regular updates on number of youths accessed funds and their progress.
Partnership and Engagement 20%
- Work with Hubs, CFs, CAVEs, CEs, PMCs, MTs and PCC to bring best practices for youth engagement in agribusiness
- Create linkages with LGAs, SHGs, and other development and value chain actors
- Represent EAYIP cluster in various local stakeholder’s meetings, workshops conferences and learning sharing events
- Work as a bridge between EAYIP potential stakeholders and SHGs to establish appropriate technical services to the community.
- Facilitate good coordination, network and linkage with project stakeholders for effective implementation of project
- Implementable plans for multi-stakeholder’s engagement and learnings.
- Develop relationships with local partners working with youth in agribusiness to facilitate access to best farming practices and market linkages.
- Linkages and networks with various stakeholders are maintained and strengthened.
- Bachelor’s degree in Community development, Sociology, Agriculture, or any related social science field. with a minimum of 4 years working experience in community development sector.
- At least 6 years of experience in community development work, crop or dairy production management and background and knowledge in community economic enterprise management
- Experience in working youth and economic empowerment groups
- Experience in developing the Private public partnership especially at regional and district, and community level
- Possess the experience and ability to work with the youth in and around the dairy hubs
- Ability and interest to work with youth aged 15-24 in Self Help Group (SHGs) and hubs
Most critical Proficiencies
- Clear understanding of social capital development and agribusiness
- Proved team player, project management, motivational and supervisory skills with ability to train and work cooperatively with a Community based staff (CFs, CEs, CAVEs)
- Demonstrated creativity, ability to think and act systematically, willingness and ability to incorporate innovative solutions and design catalytic activities within and around dairy and other agriculture value chains
- Having a business approach to dairy and agriculture with passion for farmers development and being completely farmer centric
- Computer literacy. including facility with Ms. Word, Excel, and other relevant Microsoft office suite applications as well as any other databases
- Proficient in communicating in English, Kiswahili and local language both oral and written
Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands
More Jobs From This Company
- Proven interpersonal and communication skills with ability to relate to individuals and groups diplomatically and tactfully
- Constant face to face telephone and electronic communication with colleagues, CFs, Youth and general public
- Sensitivity to need and priorities of disadvantaged populations particularly women and children
- Excellent oral and written reporting skills with ability to prepare and present documents in well-designed and attractive format with superior attentions to details
- Work in a multi-cultural setting and commitment to promoting teamwork, gender equality and sensitivity to hunger, environment and poverty issues
- Ability to work under tight deadlines with minimums supervision
- Ability to work under pressure in response to changing needs and ability to work well in a team
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally occasionally on short notice
- Sound judgment, professional ism and positive attitude with the ability to adapt to a rapidly changing environment and a positive attitude with the ability to adapt to a rapidly changing environment and in sometimes difficult circumstances
- Ability to lift and carry up to 20-pound (9 Kilograms) flor to waist
- Ability to work with sensitive information and maintain confidentiality