The Embassy of Switzerland in Tanzania is the official representation of Switzerland in Tanzania. The Embassy covers all matters concerning diplomatic relations between Switzerland and Tanzania. It represents Swiss interests in the areas of political, economic and financial affairs, legal arrangements, science, education, and culture.
The Embassy thereby also represents the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC), which assumes the main responsibility for implementing the Swiss Cooperation Programme Tanzania 2021-24. The overall goal of this programme is to empower young people, especially poor young women, to advance socially and economically, thus enabling them to be a main driver of Tanzania’s move to an equitable and stable middle-income country, and contributing to regional stability and prosperity.
In order to strengthen our Embassy team, we are currently looking for a highly pro-active, dynamic, competent and independent professional with documented experience in the development and management of projects and portfolios related generally to youth employment and particularly to technical and vocational skills development with strong market links and practical training components.
National Programme Officer – Vocational Skills Development
Job Description / Responsibility
- The Programme Officer (PO) assumes arising tasks concerning the Embassy’s work in ajira the thematic areas Technical and Vocational Education and Training including Vocational Skills Development, and other thematic responsibilities should such be allocated over time;
- The PO assumes full responsibility for the project cycle management in his/her area of responsibility allocated (from project/portfolio development over contract/partner management to controlling/monitoring);
- The PO assumes assigned responsibilities in the policy dialogue with partners and represents the positions of Switzerland in his/her field of responsibility (or beyond if instructed);
- The PO maintains a wide network of contacts with representatives of the Government of Tanzania, international development partners and non-state actors;
- The PO handles any other assignment/task assigned by the Head of Domain Employment & Income (direct supervisor), the Head of Cooperation, or the Ambassador.
- Master degree in Education Systems, Master of Science in Vocational Education and Training, Master degree in Development Studies or in related fields;
- At least 7 years of documented professional experience in the areas related to youth employment, out of which at least 5 years have been dedicated specifically to technical and vocational skills development with strong market links and practical training components;
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of the Tanzanian education sector and the Tanzanian macro-economic context, particularly with regard to employability outlook and skills demands of various sectors;
- Multiple years of proven ability of sound project management, particularly with a view to lead strategic planning, monitoring and results-based management and reporting;
- Excellent command of written and spoken English and Kiswahili; - Tanzanian National or holder of valid residence and work permit;
- Strong interpersonal and social competences.
Additional skills required:
- Experience in the implementation of dual-training, apprenticeship training and/or workplace-based learning;
- Well established capacity to develop and execute plans with partners as well as to monitor and evaluate results;
- Ability to liaise with various stakeholders from private and public sector;
- Willingness to travel various times per year to the locations in Tanzania where Swiss funded projects are implemented; - Proven experience of gender and social inclusion;
- Documented strong analytical and conceptual ability as well as ability to write concise and clearly structured reports;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, thereby meeting deadlines while maintaining always high quality;
- Excellent IT skills, able to work with MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
Interested candidates who fulfill the requirements are required to request the application form through our email email@example.com
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an assessment.
Application Deadline: Thursday 05 August 2021